Saturday 4 February 2012

Heirloom Eatery

C, N, M and I as well as our assorted Mr's haven't had dinner together since before Christmas so we thought it was high time that we had a knees-up.

N very kindly booked "the next big thing in food"(I use this term loosely), Heirloom Eatery, roughly three weeks ago. As is the unfortunate way with a lot of new restaurants in Hong Kong, Heirloom Eatery thought they were just a tad too uber cool for their own good.

After turning up on time, the eight of us were shown to a table for 4 which N promptly refused. Baring in mind that N had spoken with Heirloom three times since making the booking to confirm our party of 8 and they had been very quick to remind her that since we are more than a party of 6 they will be adding a 15% service charge to our bill. I can never quite understand the logic behind this. Is it really more of a hassel to look after 8 people as opposed to 4 tables of 2? Particularly in Hong Kong where the wait staff actually rarely get the service charge automatically added to the bill. Anyway, I digress. In typical HK style, N stamped her foot and we got the table we booked for three weeks ago.

I'll give them points for the ambiance...




Guacamole with pomegranate seeds was very nice but a little smooth for my personal preference...



The tacos were the highlight of the meal particularly the fish ones...


This is me - in sparkles! and jeans!


The corn was a nice interlude between entree and mains...


M's Mr P got into the corn...


Truffled 'noodles' and Coq au Vin was nice but not something I'd crave to eat again here...



Mr PTT's short ribs and polenta. Once again all-in-all fine but not TDF...




The wait staff obviously thought something amazing was happening on the computer screen as that's where they hovered all night unless we called them over to the table to order or to pay.

In summary, I think Heirloom Eatery is more of a lunch place and I'll go back for a taco lunch or a piece of cake. As for dinner, between the eight of us we pretty much worked our way through the entire menu so I don't see any real need to return as none of the dishes screamed "this is what I'll be craving every time Saturday night rolls around".

After Heirloom Eatery we attempted Feather Boa for a night cap but it was too claustrophobic so we went to an cute little whiskey bar who's name escapes me. C had an OK margaritas, C and N had sucker pucker 1/2 full glasses of cosmopolitans, the Mr's had whiskies with novel hand carved balls of ice in the bottom of the glass and I had a moscow mule served in a dinky little copper tankard. The mule was a fabulous spicy gingery elixer - I will be back.

N and Mr F have signed on a new flat. N has also bought her very own ice ball maker so - stay tuned for whisky parties at N and Mr F's HQs during summer 2012! The excitement never stops in Hong Kong town...

Yours,

Pseudo Tai Tai xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment