Monday 19 November 2012

It's the small things...

When you tell people that you live in Hong Kong, their common response is "the shopping must be amazing". Well frankly, its horrendous. I crave a good department store. I crave catalogues that you can casually flick through on weekend mornings. I crave online shopping from local stores. I crave online shopping from supermarkets where you get what you order and not substitutes, milk that will expire in a day, rock hard fruit and a list of products that were unavailable after you have placed and paid for your order. I crave more middle market variety. Everything here either falls into the category of high-end deluxe or market garbage.

With only four weeks to go until our annual Australian Christmas pilgrimage, our toaster has decided to kick the bucket. It was on the cards as it kept tripping the electrics but I thought it could last another four weeks.

   

Its had a good life and has served us well but do you know how hard it is to get a four slice toaster in Hong Kong? My only choice is a Dualit which retails a little shy of HKD$4000 (nearly AUD$500). Don't get me wrong, I love high-end products but toast is toast - wouldn't you agree? I'd rather spend that amount of money on something pretty.

I tried to dry-fry my bread this morning with little success so I think we're going to invest in a 2 slot toaster and the PPT family will just have to take turns in the morning like some sort of Dickenson boarding school.

Shopping shouldn't be this hard for products MADE IN CHINA!

In cheerier news, here's some vignettes...






Still gloomy outside...



Yours,

Pseudo Tai Tai xx

No comments:

Post a Comment